[Buildroot] [FYI] Bootlin external toolchains

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Dec 3 20:52:59 UTC 2019

On 03/12/2019 14:57, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:06:18 +0200
> Vadim Kochan <vadim4j at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Such fragments already exist for each toolchain, for example:
>>>
>>>   https://toolchains.bootlin.com/downloads/releases/toolchains/aarch64/fragments/aarch64--glibc--stable-2018.11-1.frag
>>>

>> Yes, I already used them) I meant, it would be good to have such
>> script in Buildroot which allows to generate such fragments for any
>> toolchain.
>
> Well, the script you're talking about, and the script that generates
> the above fragment are very different.
>
> The fragment above is generated together with the toolchain, when we
> know what is the Buildroot configuration used to build the toolchain.

 I don't know if it is what Vadim proposed, but what _I_ propose is that we add
a script that generates such a fragment from the buildroot .config. And I would
even invoke that script unconditionally from toolchain-buildroot.mk, and put the
resulting fragment in $(HOST_DIR)/share/buildroot/toolchain.config-frag.

 The script exists already: function make_br_fragment in [1]. It should just
move to the Buildroot repo.

> If I understand correctly, what you propose is instead a script that
> given some random toolchain (generated by Buildroot, crosstool-ng, or
> any other mean), will output a snippet of Buildroot configuration that
> matches this toolchain.
>
> We did have such a proposal some time ago on the mailing list, and
> there was some discussion around it.

 Hm, I don't remember that discussion at all, or I would have added the
statement above...

 Regards,
 Arnout

[1] https://gitlab.com/bootlin/toolchains-builder/blob/master/build.sh