[Buildroot] [FYI] Bootlin external toolchains

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Tue Dec 3 13:57:42 UTC 2019

Hello,

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:06:18 +0200
Vadim Kochan <vadim4j at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Such fragments already exist for each toolchain, for example:
> >
> >   https://toolchains.bootlin.com/downloads/releases/toolchains/aarch64/fragments/aarch64--glibc--stable-2018.11-1.frag
> >

> Yes, I already used them) I meant, it would be good to have such
> script in Buildroot which allows to generate such fragments for any
> toolchain.

Well, the script you're talking about, and the script that generates
the above fragment are very different.

The fragment above is generated together with the toolchain, when we
know what is the Buildroot configuration used to build the toolchain.

If I understand correctly, what you propose is instead a script that
given some random toolchain (generated by Buildroot, crosstool-ng, or
any other mean), will output a snippet of Buildroot configuration that
matches this toolchain.

We did have such a proposal some time ago on the mailing list, and
there was some discussion around it. I can't remember if it was
abandoned because nobody cared enough, or because there were some real
technical issues. Unfortunately, I was not able to quickly locate the
patch I'm talking about :-/

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com