[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Your build results for 2018-08-30

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Wed Sep 5 06:49:27 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 00:43:32 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>  So what does gentoo do? They simply don't have a dependency on util-linux in
> the python3.7.0.ebuild. Indeed, it turns out that the _uuid module is entirely
> optional. It is only used to access the uuid_generate_time_safe() function, but
> the uuid.py module can also get this function through ctypes (i.e. dlopen()). So
> perhaps a simpler solution is to just remove the build-time python3 ->
> util-linux dependency? Runtime is still needed to support the dlopen path.

Aaah, seems like a very good idea. This would solve all the circular
dependencies we're seeing, with essentially no additional complexity.

The only downside is that the python3 util-linux support would not work
in static-linking scenarios, because in such cases dlopen() is not
available. But python3 anyway has "depends on !BR2_STATIC_LIBS", so
we're good :-)

Adam: could you look at implementing this solution, and do a runtime
check that the uuid-related feature of Python 3 are working as
expected ?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com