[Buildroot] How can I compile a module into the kernel?

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 17:20:58 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 3:55 AM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com> wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 19:27:05 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> > For security reasons, I would like to disable loadable modules in my
> > kernel.
> > What I would really like to do is to tell buildroot and/or the kernel
> > "Link this external module into the kernel at link time, not at
> > runtime".
>
> You simply can't do that: external modules can only be built as
> modules.
Thank you Thomas.
Yeah, that's what I was finding as well, but I thought I should ask nonetheless.

Is it possible to permanently disable loadable modules from user space
at runtime?  Or to only load signed modules?  Or do I need to look
more carefully at selinux?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

--wpd