[Buildroot] Problem with Raspberry Pi 3B+and BT

Peter Seiderer ps.report at gmx.net
Fri Oct 12 21:41:33 UTC 2018

Hello Oscar, Matt,

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:48:43 -0500, Matthew Weber <matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com> wrote:

> Oscar,
>
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:46 AM Oscar Gomez Fuente
> <oscargomezf at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have a problem with the Bluetooth on my raspberry pi 3B+, I have
> > installed the following packages:
> >
> > [*] bluez-tools
> > [*] bluez-utils 5.x
> > [*]   build OBEX support
> > [*]   build CLI client
> > [*]   build experimental obexd plugin
> > [*]   build health plugin
> > [*]   build midi profile
> > [*]   build nfc plugin
> > [*]   build sap plugin
> > [*]   build sixaxis plugin
> > [*]   build tests
> > [*]   install bdaddr tool
> >
> > I'm using the raspberry pi for scanning BT devices continuously, using
> > this command:
> >
> > # bt-adapter -a hci0 -d
> >
> > And everything works fines, but occasionally this command fails and Ii
> > doesn't work anymore and I have to reboot my HW. I was taking a look
> > at the kernel messages:
> >
> > [25124.029835] Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)
> > [25124.031902] Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-90)
> > [25124.033665] Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)
> > [28601.218856] Bluetooth: hci0 advertising data length corrected
> > [29425.140974] Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)
> > [29427.218670] Bluetooth: Failed to disable LE scan: status 0x1f
> > [29427.220413] Bluetooth: hci0 command 0x200c tx timeout
> > [29561.841776] Bluetooth: hci0 command 0x200c tx timeout
> >

> That looks kernel related.  I believe the PI has some GPU firmware
> loaded that applies to bluetooth.  I've never tried updating it,
> however there are tools out there to update the firmware that's stored
> in some non-volatile space on the board.
> https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update   # notes here:
> https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/164/how-do-i-update-software-and-firmware

The GPU Firmware is stored on the SD card image, the given links are about updating
the firmware when using a Raspbian SD card image, for the buildroot way to update
to latest versions see [1]...

> Another idea would be verifying your power supply is large enough to
> accommodate bluetooth.  To check this, If you have other USB devices
> attached, unplug a few usb devices, startup and see if bluetooth is
> more stable.

Or try out a latest original Raspbian image and check if your errors
occur there too (sorry no B+ at hand to try out myself, only a legacy
B one)...

Regards,
Peter

[1] http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2018-October/233136.html