[Buildroot] Submodule granularity instead of LIB_GIT_SUBMODULES

lpdev at cordier.org lpdev at cordier.org
Wed Nov 28 15:28:29 UTC 2018

Hi there,

I have a repository that have few submodules:

- myLib

  -> submodule1 (~10MB)

  -> submodule2 (8GB)

Actually I don't need to initialize submodule2 because myLib does not request it while compiling for my buildroot distro.

The option xxx_GIT_SUBMODULES is doing a recursive init on all submodules of the project. As I am using Buildroot 2018.02, there is no support for the latest git patches that improve the overall space overhead and avoid compressing the repo.

Each time I am updating the git hash of my package, buildroot is cloning the repo, getting the subodules (from scratch), compress tar it, and then start the compilation. I was wondering if there is a way to specify _GIT_SUBMODULES to no, but still get the submodule1, without breaking buildroot's download philosophy.

Thank you for your help,

Louis-Paul