[Buildroot] Builtin kernel images for the testing infra

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Mon Nov 19 08:29:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 00:22:24 -0200, Ricardo Martincoski wrote:

> As I see it, these are the steps:
> 1 - prefer to reuse the pre-built kernel images that already exist whenever
>     possible;
> 2 - if that is not enough, build one, preferably based on an existing
>     qemu...defconfig;
> 3 - when many tests need to build a kernel, check the commonalities between
>     them and provide a new pre-built that fits many tests;
> 4 - back to 1;
> And we are currently in step 2, near to go to step 3.
> But that is only my opinion, of course.

Yes, fully agreed. The idea of those pre-built kernel images is to save
time. For a purely user-space test such as the Python test cases, or
Lua test cases, it already takes quite some time to rebuild the Python
interpreter for each test case, it would be annoying to rebuild the
kernel as well.

So it makes sense to provide a few pre-built kernel images for a
variety of architectures, with some "sane" kernel configuration.

Of course, this doesn't prevent from adding other test cases that will
build the Linux kernel:

 - To test the Buildroot Linux kernel packaging
 - Because we want to build some Buildroot packages that provide kernel
   modules, or need some very special kernel configuration options to
   be set

> Concerning new builtin images, if you want to add a new one, I suppose you
> could do this:
>  - generate the new image and store it in a public temporary url;
>  - add the support in the test infra for this new image and use it in at least
>    one test case;
>  - test your test case by placing the image in the test-dl or your usual
>    BR2_DL_DIR folder. It works even on GitLab CI!, see [1];
>  - send the patch for review adding a note below "---" with the url for the
>    image to be stored in the current artifacts url;

Absolutely.

> Since you mentioned version control...
> Maybe, in the long term, we could create a separate repo, i.e.
> buildroot-runtime-tests-binaries in GitHub and accept merges.
> I think people in the list would not like to receive patches with 2-5 MB.
> A .txt file along each binary stating how the image was generated (i.e. the
> sha1 of buildroot and defconfig name, and even the url for a build in GitLab CI)
> would be nice IMO.
> Just an idea/example.

The way we handle those artifacts right now is very basic, and there
are certainly ways of improving that over time.

> Should we trim down to have a small image? Should we add stuff to allow maximum
> reuse? IMO, using the default kernel intree defconfig selected by our qemu
> defconfigs seems a good compromise.

Agree.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering