[Buildroot] custom skeleton question

Liam Staskawicz liam at stask.net
Thu May 31 06:02:57 UTC 2018

> On May 29, 2018, at 11:22 PM, Peter Korsgaard <peter at korsgaard.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,

Hello :D

>>> Doesn't this "base" already contain a number of libraries and programs?
>>> I don't quite see how this fits in Buildroot.

>>> Instead of using it as a rootfs skeleton you could perhaps create a
>>> package to download such a "base" and extract it on top of the default
>>> skeleton?
>
>> Thanks for the response. I can indeed investigate overlaying it on the
>> default skeleton - mainly wanted to confirm I was not missing an
>> intended way to use the existing skeleton-custom mechanism with a more
>> dynamically supplied custom path. Thank you.
>
> Ok - But again, if the Ubuntu base image contains a bunch of prebuilt
> binaries and library you may very well end up with odd errors if you try
> to merge them with Buildroot.
>
> What are you trying to achieve here?

Your advice makes sense :)

I am mainly trying to make an incremental transition from a system based on ubuntu to one based on buildroot. My first step is providing a similar userspace to the current system while transitioning the kernel build and packaging to buildroot. Subsequently, I plan to more completely isolate the userspace such that it can ship with a pure buildroot rootfs.

So, while this is not strictly an ideal use of buildroot, it's a helpful stepping stone.

Thanks,
Liam