[Buildroot] Buildroot at ELC 2018

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Thu Mar 15 15:53:13 UTC 2018

Hello,

The Embedded Linux Conference took place from Monday to Wednesday this
week, and I gave two Buildroot-related talk/tutorial:

 - A "Buildroot: what's new?" talk, very similar to the one given at
   the Embedded Linux Conference Europe last October, just slightly
   updated with 2017.11 and 2018.02 changes.

   The slides are available at
   https://bootlin.com/pub/conferences/2018/elc/petazzoni-buildroot-whats-new/petazzoni-buildroot-whats-new.pdf,
   and the video is already online at
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6zO4nMX9KY

 - A "Getting started with Buildroot" tutorial. For the first time at
   ELC, a special track called "Embedded Apprentice Linux Engineer" was
   organized, which consisted in 2-3 hours long tutorials, with a
   lecture part, followed by hands-on. All hands-on took place on the
   newly released PocketBeagle platform, to which a special cape was
   connected.

   The slides for my tutorial are available at
   https://bootlin.com/pub/conferences/2018/elc/petazzoni-e-ale-buildroot-tutorial/petazzoni-buildroot-tutorial.pdf,
   while the lab instructions are available at
   https://bootlin.com/pub/conferences/2018/elc/petazzoni-e-ale-buildroot-tutorial/petazzoni-buildroot-tutorial-lab.pdf.

   The lecture is really just a short introduction to the basics of the
   Buildroot, while the lab make the participate do their first build,
   tweak the root filesystem with an overlay and more package, and
   write their own package for a small application.

Throughout the conference, a good number of people came to talk with me
about Buildroot, mainly to tell me that they are using it, and that they
like it a lot!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
http://bootlin.com