[Buildroot] customizations to package recipes in BR2_EXTERNAL?

Liam Staskawicz liam at stask.net
Sun Jun 17 21:30:14 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'd like to slightly modify an existing package (nvidia-driver) to target a different version (not the latest version, just the specific version my project is using). The changes are simple - updating the version string, and .hash entries - but it's not clear how best to manage these changes in a BR2_EXTERNAL based workflow, as patches in BR2_GLOBAL_PATCH_DIR get applied after the sources have been downloaded and unpacked.

I'd like to avoid maintaining a clone of the buildroot repo with these changes, if possible. Is there a recommended workflow for this situation?

Thanks,
Liam