[Buildroot] Questions on package makefile variables overriding

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Tue Jan 30 08:35:45 UTC 2018

Hi Alexis,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 08:56:00AM +0100, Alexis Lothoré wrote:
> I am currently trying to adapt some buildroot packages behavior without
> hardcoding my changes into the buildroot directory (using a buildroot
> external), but I am encountering a few issues doint it. Here are my two
> cases :

As far as I know there is no support for overriding existing packages with the
BR2_EXTERNAL mechanism. I'll let core developers confirm that.

> * I am trying build the janus-gateway package in buildroot 2017-08. I have
> to add libcurl as a dependency (needed in my case for the streaming
> module). In janus-gateway.mk in corresponding buildroot package, the
> dependency variable looks like the following : JANUS_GATEWAY_DEPENDENCIES =

In this case libcurl should be added as an optional dependency of
janus-gateway. Please post a patch doing that, so that you don't need to carry
your own local changes.

> host-pkgconf jansson libnice \
>         libsrtp host-gengetopt libglib2 openssl
> I have added an external.mk file in my BR2_EXTERNAL directory with the
> following line : JANUS_GATEWAY_DEPENDENCIES += libcurl. It seems to be
> taken in account by buildroot, as seen when printing the proper variables :
> #~ : make -C buildroot BR2_EXTERNAL=../buildroot_external O=output-dev -s
> printvars VARS=JANUS_GATEWAY_%DEPENDENCIES
> JANUS_GATEWAY_DEPENDENCIES=host-pkgconf jansson libnice libsrtp
> host-gengetopt libglib2 openssl host-automake host-autoconf host-libtool
> skeleton toolchain libcurl
> JANUS_GATEWAY_FINAL_ALL_DEPENDENCIES=host-autoconf host-automake
> host-gengetopt host-libtool host-pkgconf jansson libcurl libglib2 libnice
> libsrtp openssl skeleton toolchain
> JANUS_GATEWAY_FINAL_DEPENDENCIES=host-autoconf host-automake host-gengetopt
> host-libtool host-pkgconf jansson libcurl libglib2 libnice libsrtp openssl
> skeleton toolchain
> JANUS_GATEWAY_FINAL_PATCH_DEPENDENCIES=
>
> However, even after completely deleting janus-gateway in my builddir and in
> the target dir, libcurl is not automatically built before janus. Am I
> missing a configuration step ?
>
> * I need a more recent version of OpenCV than the current one 2.4.13. Using
> the same mechanism, I update OPENCV_VERSION in my external.mk. This time
> the new version is correctly detected and the package is downloaded in the
> new version. But I encounter a hash mismatch (which seems normal since hash
> is fixed in the package directory). Is there a way to override the hash
> file too ?

There is also the opencv3 package which is currently at 3.3.0. A patch bumping
the version to the latest 3.4.0 would be welcome.

baruch