[Buildroot] [git commit] security hardening: add RELFO, FORTIFY options

Matthew Weber matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com
Mon Jan 29 15:54:16 UTC 2018

Thomas/Peter,

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 8:21 AM, Peter Korsgaard <peter at korsgaard.com> wrote:

> commit: https://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=20a4583ebf7fe97ea22a1ea11621dd44a8114ca5
> branch: https://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=refs/heads/master
>
> This enables a user to build a complete system using these
> options.  It is important to note that not all packages will
> build correctly to start with.
>
> Modeled after OpenWRT approach
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/config/Config-build.in#L176
>
> A good testing tool to check a target's elf files for compliance
> to an array of hardening techniques can be found here:
> https://github.com/slimm609/checksec.sh

I've internally started to look at build failures across all packages
with the following config set in an off-line autobuilder.
BR2_OPTIMIZE_1=y
BR2_RELRO_FULL=y
BR2_FORTIFY_SOURCE_1=y
BR2_SSP_STRONG=y

So far things are pretty broken but we'll see after I get past the tip
of the iceburg how much work it might take to turn on a basic set of
these options for regression.

I sent some of the package fix-ups as part of this initial series but
will probably refresh the series after I get a few more of the big
failures worked out.

Matt