[Buildroot] Analysis of build results for 2018-02-25

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Mon Feb 26 19:01:38 UTC 2018

 > Hello,
 > On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:06:20 +0100, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

 >> > mplayer upstream is dead ? If that is the case, then indeed we should
 >> > just take those patches as-is.
 >>
 >> I haven't followed development in details, but the latest mplayer
 >> release is more than 2 years old and several forks exists (E.G. mpv).

 > But isn't mplayer one of those projects that says that releases are
 > useless, and people should always use the latest trunk/master/tip
 > because it's obviously "the best".

Maybe. I do see some recent changes in subversion, but mainly small
things (tweaks to the handwritten configure script).

 >> > Just because it's broken on powerpc?
 >>
 >> Well, mainly because it is no longer maintained upstream. Even Debian is
 >> removing Qt4:
 >>
 >> https://wiki.debian.org/Qt4Removal

 > True, but we are not going to remove it for 2018.02, right ?

It is indeed getting quite late for 2018.02, but given that:

- It isn't supported upstream
- The package is orphaned in Buildroot
- Other distributions (like Debian) no longer supports it

Makes me think that we won't be able to do a good job supporting it
throughout the 2018.02 support cycle.

We don't have a good way of handling deprecations, so I'm not sure what
the best option is:

- Do nothing
- Change prompt to "Qt (obsolete)"
- Remove package