[Buildroot] [RFC v3 2/4] meson: change from global to per package cross-compilation.conf

Peter Seiderer ps.report at gmx.net
Sun Aug 19 19:49:17 UTC 2018

Hello Thomas,

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 19:15:11 +0200, Peter Seiderer <ps.report at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
>

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:22:06 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 01:15:12 +0200, Peter Seiderer wrote:
> >
> > > The CFLAGS are ignored, e.g. with 'LIBDRM_CONF_ENV += CFLAGS=-DAO_NO_SPARC_V9' in package/libdrm/libdrm.mk:
> > >
> > > 	$ make libdrm V=1
> >
> > It seems weird, no? It is documented to be working, and even at runtime
> > it tells you "I am going to use those additional CFLAGS". Isn't this a
> > bug or a misuse of meson from us ?
> >

> Bug or feature of the cross-compilation.conf usage? Will take a look at
> the meson sources....

Seems to be intentional, see mesonbuild/backend/backends.py#L542 ([1]):

        if not target.is_cross:
            # Compile args added from the env: CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, etc. We want these
            # to override all the defaults, but not the per-target compile args.
commands += self.environment.coredata.get_external_args(compiler.get_language())

With the 'if not target.is_cross' added with this commit [2] fixing [3] which
suggests adding CROSS_*FLAGS...

Regards,
Peter

[1] https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/blob/master/mesonbuild/backend/backends.py#L542