[Buildroot] autobuilder flock hangs

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Mon Aug 13 21:28:59 UTC 2018

Thomas, Hollis, All,

On 2018-08-13 23:18 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> Hello,
>
> +Yann in Cc.

> > > Hollis: your autobuilder times out when downloading this package, could
> > > you have a look ? See
> > > http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?reason=azure-iot-sdk-c%.

> > > Hollis, once again your autobuilder timing out when downloading stuff:
> > > http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?reason=linux-firmware%.
> > flock was hanging. I don't know why; have you experienced anything like
> > that?
> Not that I remember. Yann ?

Nope.

flock(1) is just a utility wrapper around flock(2), which is itself a
syscall to the kernel. The kernel frees a lock as soon as the process
that aqcquired it closes the filedescriptor(s) used to acquire that
lock, which also automatically occurs when the process dies (naturally
or forcibly).

So, barring a kernel bug, I'd say something else also had a lock...

You can get the list of process haviong locks with the lslocks command.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.