[Buildroot] [RFC 2/2] linux: Add support for specifying a custom directory

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Mon Oct 30 22:32:46 UTC 2017

Florian, All,

On 2017-10-29 20:27 -0700, Florian Fainelli spake thusly:
> Le 10/29/17 à 11:12, Yann E. MORIN a écrit :
> > On 2017-10-29 10:26 -0700, Florian Fainelli spake thusly:
> >> package/linux-headers/linux-headers.mk:134: *** LINUX_HEADERS_SITE
> >> cannot be empty when LINUX_HEADERS_SOURCE is not.  Stop.
> >> Makefile:79: recipe for target '_all' failed
> >> make: *** [_all] Error 2
> >> zsh: exit 2     make
> >
> > Hmm... Even when you keep the kernel version to its default value?
>
> That was also because I had set the "custom kernel version" to an empty
> string, which could have indicated "don't care" but was still needed.
> This is also probably fine to set to anything once you set your kernel
> headers to a particular version.
>
> It seems like we should not prompted any kernel version in case since we
> use a local kernel directory, or, the version should be derived directly
> from the kernel  directory so it does not have to be manually specified
> at all but that's a tad more complicated.

But in truth, the override-srcdir mechanism is just that: an _override_
of the configured values, to be used only for development.

So, the premise is that you start off from a "known" configuration, and
override just that one or two packages you are working on.

> Thanks for your help, it's been pretty interesting to use another build
> system thus far :)

I was rather surprised (in a good sense!) to see you here, yes. Trying
the Dark Side of the Force, are we? ;-]

See ya!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.