[Buildroot] gtk binary application - pango_layout_set_text assertion - empty strings on the UI

Pongrácz István pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 12:57:02 UTC 2017

 Hi,

I have an issue with buildroot, when I run a gtk application built for debian/i386 over ssh/X forwarding.

The GUI shows empty strings instead of texts, even fonts are available.

Here is an image where you can see the issue exactly: https://imagebin.ca/v/3f78XVw6bLW2

In parallel, I can see the following in the console:

Lot of messages, exactly the same:

(pwr_rtmon:354): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_set_text: assertion 'length == 0 || text != NULL' failed

On startup of the applicaion I can see some of this (image loading for icons):

(pwr_rtmon:354): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Couldn't convert text chunk value to UTF-8.

What I tried:

Adding more and more fonts from the desktop -> the already exists texts changed a little bit, depending the used font, otherwise no effect

Deleting all fonts -> the characters on the shown buttons changed to black boxes, so, no texts but only bloxes (no fonts found)

I tried to add more and more X related applications, even xorg-server -> no effect

Using strace -f -ff -e open,read -o log.log whatever -> I can see the opened fonts etc.

Now I try to add gtk3 and gtk-demos to see, what happens with the demo applications.

Buildroot background:

2016.2, glibc (wchar)), busybox, gtk_engines, X.org X Window System (without X11R7 Servers),

I am pretty sure, the problem is not a missing font, but I cannot step forward at this moment. I suspect some UTF-8 issue, but I have no proof except I already provided.

Do you have any hints, how to catch the problem?

Thank you!

István