[Buildroot] Deploy NFS rootfs

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Sun Nov 19 06:50:42 UTC 2017

Hi Ran,

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 08:22:12AM +0200, Ran Shalit wrote:
> Thank you for the information.
> I also interested to know if the files inside tar are with different
> ownership/privilege.
> It is said that we can't run directly from target folder becauae of this.
> From that I assume that files in tar must have different owners/privilege.
> Is that correct?

The tar archive contains ownership information per file. To reproduce the
correct ownership of the files in the root filesystem you must extract the
rootfs.tar file for your NFS as root. Section 4 of the Buildroot manual[1]
says this:

  If you need an extracted image of the root filesystem for booting over NFS,
  then use the tarball image generated in images/ and extract it as root.

See also section 10.6[2] and 13.1.1[3].

[1] http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html

[2] http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#faq-why-not-use-target-as-chroot

[3] http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#_boot_the_generated_images