[Buildroot] Analysis of build results for 2017-10-30

Matthew Weber matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Nov 8 16:16:16 UTC 2017

Johan,

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Johan Oudinet <johan.oudinet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas, all,
>
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>>
>>>          arm |        host-erlang-rebar-2.6.4 | TIM | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/6c4c7b3094bd48a72786f5be3d760f0356557403 |
>>>          arm |        host-erlang-rebar-2.6.4 | TIM | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/a17d5eb1aac01dab19412aa28d523625577730db |
>>
>> The infamous ./bootstrap issue that consumes 100% of the CPU before
>> timing out the build job. Johan, we really need to find a solution to
>> this problem. How can we proceed to debug this?
>>

> The bootstrap file is an erlang script:
> #!/usr/bin/env escript
>
> When trying to reproduce this bug, I see it prints "No beam files
> found". As this message is printed quite early in this script, I guess
> the problem is in loading escript from the host. Unfortunately, I
> wasn't able to reproduce this bug on my machine, so this is only a
> guess.
> Is it possible to execute ./bootstrap --help from this machine? If the
> problem is in loading escript, it should lead to the same timeout
> error.

I ran the same build on that machine ( make clean host-erlang-rebar ).
It ran without error and printed the following early in the build
step.

make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/lfs/v0/rc-buildroot/output/build/host-erlang-rebar-2.6.4'
./bootstrap
No beam files found.
Recompile: src/rebar
Recompile: src/rebar_abnfc_compiler

As a note, that machine doesn't have escript, ie I go into the
host-erlang-rebar folder and if I run the bootstrap --help I get a
escript error  (which is expected).
./bootstrap --help
/usr/bin/env: escript: No such file or directory

I'll run the complete build a few times and see if anything pops up.

Matt