[Buildroot] vboot-utils issue in Buildroot

Alex Suykov alex.suykov at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 21:15:07 UTC 2017

Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 08:48:08PM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback. However, please keep the mailing list in Cc.

Sorry, did not notice it was a list message. This one should go with Cc.

> But it's quite weird to have a dependency on the target architecture
> when building a host tool. Looking at the ARM specific code for
> example, it pokes into /proc/firmware/device-tree/, which obviously has
> no chance to exist on the build machine.

Here's what I think happens there: they have a common library that gets
used both for target-independent tools (futility) and target-specific
tools (crossystem). This library includes some target-specific code that
is only needed for crossystem, but gets built anyway because it's a part
of the library.

Actually within Buildroot this whole problem can be solved with a simple
patch that would delete this line:

	host/arch/${ARCH}/lib/crossystem_arch.c \

crossystem seems to be the only tool that calls anything from that file,
no idea why it's a part of the library.

> Gentoo defines ARCH == HOST_ARCH. Be careful that if they are
> different, vboot-utils will try to use Qemu.

Looks like qemu is only used there for tests.
Also, the way they choose qemu command:

    ifeq (${ARCH},${HOST_ARCH})
    else
      QEMU_ARCH := ${ARCH}
    endif

      QEMU_BIN = qemu-${QEMU_ARCH}

doesn't make any sense if ARCH is HOST_ARCH.