[Buildroot] vboot-utils issue in Buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Nov 6 19:48:08 UTC 2017

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. However, please keep the mailing list in Cc.
Thanks!

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 20:48:40 +0200, Alex Suykov wrote:

> > Could you have a look at what this architecture specific code is doing?
> > It's somewhat weird in a set of host utilities to have something that
> > would depend on the target architecture.
>
> Those are target-specific definitions for sure, so ARCH must
> be the target architecture there. I'll try to send a patch now.

Gentoo defines ARCH == HOST_ARCH. Be careful that if they are
different, vboot-utils will try to use Qemu.

> vboot-utils aren't really host-only, it's also a target package in ChromeOS
> and it fills the role of efibootmgr on PC. The code in crossystem_arch
> seems to be about boot configuration, so completely irrelevant when building
> a host package. But it always gets built.
>
> Chromeos does support cross-compiling, but I suspect no-one ever tried
> building it on a host that wasn't x86_64 or maybe arm.

But it's quite weird to have a dependency on the target architecture
when building a host tool. Looking at the ARM specific code for
example, it pokes into /proc/firmware/device-tree/, which obviously has
no chance to exist on the build machine.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering