[Buildroot] Altera SoC Buildroot external toolchain incompatible error

lemonoje lemonoje at gmail.com
Fri May 12 13:11:33 UTC 2017

You have selected to download the toolchain whereas I already have it
downloaded, so my config is not using the EXTERNAL_URL.  (Note the path is
not set below as I pass that in when I build).  Here is my config that
produces the error:

BR2_ARCH="arm"
BR2_GCC_TARGET_CPU="cortex-a9"
BR2_cortex_a9=y
BR2_ARM_ENABLE_VFP=y
BR2_ARM_EABIHF=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_USES_GLIBC=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PREINSTALLED=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH="/loc"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_GLIBC=y
BR2_PACKAGE_HAS_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL=y
BR2_PACKAGE_PROVIDES_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL="toolchain-external-custom"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PREFIX="arm-linux-gnueabihf"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM_PREFIX="arm-linux-gnueabihf"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_GCC_5=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_HEADERS_4_0=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM_GLIBC=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_HAS_SSP=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_INET_RPC=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTRA_EXTERNAL_LIBS=""
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_GDB_SERVER_COPY=y

But now I see once I choose to enable VFP, I can then choose Target
ABI=EABIhf.  And then the Linaro custom toolchain option (2016.11) appears
in the Toolchain External Options.  That would then mean I have to already
have 2016.11 installed and use BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH to tell BR where
it's at, right?

So, the external Linaro toolchains you can select differ between versions of
Buildroot.  Is there a listing of which ones support which toolchains?