[Buildroot] binutils now adds sysroot for ld -rpath search

Jörg Krause joerg.krause at embedded.rocks
Tue Mar 14 09:33:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

some news!

After a discussion with Brad King on the CMake issue tracker [1] about
how the linker should handle -rpath we agreed that ld should add the
sysroot when searching for files (but not when setting the RPATH header
value).

I picked up a five years old patch from the binutils mailing list [2]
which already proposed the change, but was not submitted then.

I resend the patch [3] and this time Alan Modra accepted the change. He
submitted two patches [4,5] which will add the sysroot to -rpath for
absolute paths.

[1] https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/16682
[2] https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2012-09/msg00156.html
[3] https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2017-03/msg00134.html
[4] https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h
=316a1245fe31e327223ca66797b789eaf9544c2c
[5] https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h
=118aa6cf395aec093fe12d7fb2d05441791a93fa

Best regards,
Jörg Krause