[Buildroot] question on setting file ownership after boot

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Fri Jun 30 15:45:59 UTC 2017

On 30-06-17 14:55, Robert Smigielski wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am making customization on my Buildroot created board support package. I know
> there is some method that configures specific ownership of files in the various
> file system directories on boot up. On this embedded board I want root to own
> all the dbus files so I want to specifically set file and directory ownership
> and group membership to root system wide. I cannot recall what file configures
> that. I know that the file system/device_table.txt performs a similar function
> for /dev/* files but what does so for files over in /etc and /usr and so on?

 Indeed, system/device_table.txt performs that function for files and
directories, while system/device_table_dev.txt does it for /dev/* device nodes.
It is called "device_table.txt" for historical reasons, it is currently only
used for permissions, not devices.

 You can configure the file to use with the BR2_ROOTFS_DEVICE_TABLE option
("Path to the permission tables"). You probably want to add a second file to
that (space-separated) with the things you want to change.

 See [1] and [2] for details.

 Regards,
 Arnout

[1] https://buildroot.org/manual.html#customize-device-permission