[Buildroot] Beaglebone Black : tweaking the device tree

David Picard davepiq at yahoo.fr
Fri Jun 2 13:27:06 UTC 2017

Hi,

I need to enable the CAN bus on the Beaglebone Black. To do so, I need
to play with the device tree.

Thanks to the example I found [1] and some other references, I can
picture roughly what to write in some dts file.

But still, I wonder what is the proper way to modify a device tree in
Buildroot ?

- Are device tree overlays supported in Buildroot ?
- If not, should I patch or include
arch/arm/boot/dts/arm335x-boneblack.dts ?
- What is the purpose of BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_CUSTOM_DTS_PATH ?
- Where should I save my .dts (I'm building out of tree).

David.

[1] Example :
I successfully enabled the CAN bus on Debian installed by default on the
eMMC using this guide (uses device a tree overlay):
http://www.embedded-things.com/bbb/enable-canbus-on-the-beaglebone-black/

My config :