[Buildroot] No GPS data on ttymxc1 with busybox, but it works with systemd

Brent Sink brents_3 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 20 03:08:34 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have GPS device that is connected to a uart port on my processor.  I have ttymxc0 which is the console output, and ttymxc1 which is the GPS interface.  I have build an image using buildroot that uses the busybox init system.  When I boot from this image and execute "cat /dev/ttymxc1", I see no output on the terminal and my gpsd service also sees nothing from the GPS receiver.

However, if I change my buildroot image to use the systemd init  system, and boot from this image, everything is working.  When I execute "cat /dev/ttymxc1" I see output from the GPS receiver.

I'm trying to minimize the boot time so I would like use the busybox init system since it boots quicker.  Any thoughts why I'm not seeing any output on the ttymxc1 port when using the busybox init system?