[Buildroot] CHIP Pro OS?

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Sun Feb 19 05:40:19 UTC 2017

Hi Josh,

Please use the buildroot@ address only.

> Here's my question:
>
> How hard would it be for me to program a (very lean) OS for CHIP Pro
> (https://getchip.com/pages/chippro) using Buildroot?

Buildroot is not about programming new OSes. It builds existing OS kernels
(only the Linux kernel is currently supported) and some other software
packages to something you can run on various boards. If you are into OS
development check http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page.

> Keep in mind that I'm only 12, so I don't know many programming languages. I
> know a bit of Python and HTML5. I'm also learning C++ as soon as I find an
> online course. Would knowing those languages be enough?

Python, HTML and C++ are not so good for OS development since their
implementations depend on OS provided services. You need something like C,
Rust, or assembly.

You also need a very good understanding of your target hardware. This kind of
information is unfortunately not so easy to come by when dealing with
Allwinner based products like the CHIP Pro.

Good luck,
baruch

   - baruch at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -