[Buildroot] [RFC 1/2] busybox: avoid conflict with other packages

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Fri Dec 29 05:59:21 UTC 2017

Hi Yann,

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 11:56:39PM +0100, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On 2017-12-28 17:23 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
> > On 2017-12-14 08:58 +0200, Baruch Siach spake thusly:
> [--SNIP--]
> > > Quoting busybox.mk:
> > >
> > > # Enable "noclobber" in install.sh, to prevent BusyBox from overwriting any
> > > # full-blown versions of apps installed by other packages with sym/hard links.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, the noclobber implementation is racy.
> >
> > How is it racy?
> >
> > At the moment we're gonna call it, no other package will be installing
> > at the same time (in the location seen by busybox at least), so there
> > should be no race.
>
> Yet there were some issues with that part, so I've sent a small
> patch-series to busybox to fix the noclobber stuff:
>     http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2017-December/086039.html
>
> So, with this, we should be able to:
>
>   - invert the dependency chain, so thatr busybox now depends on all
>     otehr packages that it may install applets of;

Why would we need a dependency at all? Either busybox builds before that other
package (like we do today) in which case the other package overwrites the
busybox symlink, or that other package builds before busybox, and then the
noclobber option does the right thing.

baruch

   - baruch at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -