[Buildroot] [RFC 0/2] Handle conflicting files with Busybox

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Thu Dec 28 17:00:17 UTC 2017

Thomas, All,

On 2017-12-13 14:01 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> As we discussed during the Prague Buildroot Developers meeting, in
> order to implement per-package SDK, we need to ensure that no package
> overwrites files installed by another package.
>
> This RFC series is an attempt at solving this problem for Busybox. I
> have not fixed all packages yet: since it is a very boring task to do,
> I wanted to first get some feedback on whether the approach looks
> reasonable or not.
>
> If the feedback is positive, I'll go ahead and submit proper patches
> that fix all packages that conflict with Busybox.

As I previously said on IRC: I do not much like the big list we will now
have to maintain; that's sad...

However, I like the fact that we can get rid of the many dependencies in
so many packages here and there. :-)

What I would have suggested, though, is to do what Baruch hinted at: use
the noclobber install of Busybox, and then have Busybox depend on all
the packages it provides applets for:

    BUSYBOX_DEPENDENCIES = \
        $(if $(BR2_PACKAGE_COREUTILS),coreutils) \
        $(if $(BR2_PACKAGE_util_LINUX),util-linux) \
        etc...

But unfortunately, the noclobber install option is not usable:

  - first, there is no way to cause a noclobber install;

  - second, the noclobber is not accounted for in the case shell
    wrappers are used.

So, I'm afraid we don't have much choice but to do as your series
does...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.