[Buildroot] Putting qtwebkit on a diet

Stefan Fröberg stefan.froberg at petroprogram.com
Fri Dec 1 14:05:03 UTC 2017

Hi

Allrighty then :-)

It get's even better. When enabling "optimize for size" feature and ARM
thumb2 (needed for optimize size on ARM platforms)
I could reduce QtWebkit size down to 7.6 MB ! :-)

I try to collect as many feature settings that I can find and then make
patch serie of 3 where:
- patch #1 let's user to disable/enable features individually
- patch #2 introduces quick setting, minimal to disable all features
leaving only the core of the webkit (enough for surfing? need to test)
- patch #3 exposes that optimize size feature

Besides disk and RAM savings I see a benefit of reducing unwanted/needed
features in terms of
 security and privacy (less code to exploit by bad guys).

-S-