[Buildroot] Genimage limitations?

Rosario Vumbaca rosario.vumbaca at allieddata.com.au
Wed Aug 30 00:07:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am a new user to Buildroot and I am creating an image for a
RaspberryPi Compute Module on a custom carrier board.

It is well known that the RaspberryPi requires an "overlays" directory
on the fat16/fat32 boot partition, with optional overlay files inside
that directory.

For example: overlays/i2c-rtc.dtbo (a fairly fundamental overlay file!)

However

1. genimage doesn't seem to be able to create a directory on the target
image

2. Or Alternatively to copy a single file to the target image with the
directory structure intact.

- If I specify "rpi-firmware/overlays" in the genimage.cfg file, it
keeps the directory tree intact but copies the entire overlays directory
to the target image.

- If I specify the single file "rpi-firmware/overlays/i2c-rtc.dtbo" it
copies only that file into the root, and fails to create the directory
tree on the target image.

The behaviour of genimage in this regard seems to be undocumented and
inconsistent.

I searched the mailing list archives, and read the (very minimal)
genimage documentation but I can't find a solution, short of modifying
the image after it is created.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do this with genimage, or if there
is some other best practices technique that can be applied?

All I can think of is to mount and modify the vfat image after it is
built, but this seems like a poor practice, especially when it could be
done correctly when the image is first built.

Thanks,

Regards,

Rosario

--
Rosario Vumbaca
Electrical Engineer

Allied Data Systems Pty Limited
67/176 South Creek Road, Cromer NSW 2099 Australia
Tel. +61 2 9982 1510 | Fax. +61 2 9984 7807
E-mail: rosario.vumbaca at allieddata.com.au | Web: www.allieddata.com.au