[Buildroot] Failing bind 9.11.1-P3 configure failure

grunpferd at netscape.net grunpferd at netscape.net
Tue Aug 8 23:29:56 UTC 2017

G'day Peter,

>On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 20:36:58 -0400, grunpferd at netscape.net wrote:

>> It looks like there is some confusion over the local existence of header files resulting in error during configure.
>>

>> > Local build of bind here (with a random configuration) succeeds, mind to try
>> > the following buildroot patch:
>> I used the +       --without-lmdb \ option and that does work.

>Thanks for testing...

No problems, rather get the issue sorted while still in -rc1.
I guess the problem with random configurations is they are not "real" or "real" enough!

>> I guess the the real issue is why it is looking at local header files at all, rather than the buildroot headers.
>> Also I presume why bind wants to try and use -lmdb is to speed up some object store and retrieval,
>> so maybe the right solution is to build a local version of mdb and have host headers and library available for the target.

> Yes this would be a nice buildroot feature, but I think there is no lmdb (Lightning
> Memory-mapped Database) package yet in buildroot to use...

Bind might run a little slower but at least it builds and works.
I think bind used to use BSD db and has since shifted to mdb.

The more serious issue is that configure is using local files and failing in this cross compilation toolchain generated by buildroot.
While the patch works in terms of allowing buildroot to build bind there is a deeper problem here.
The problem is more in the configuration tools getting it wrong, why is it looking at local header files at all, rather than the buildroot generated header files!

Keep the good work coming,

Ross