[Buildroot] [Patch v4 1/3] rust-bootstrap: new package

Jörg Krause joerg.krause at embedded.rocks
Fri Apr 7 09:22:01 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 11:03 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> > > The bootstrap compiler is provided as a binary only thing,
> > > pre-compiled. So it works only on the architectures it was compiled
> > > for. At least, that's why I remember from previous series on this topic.
> >
> > But, if I am running Buildroot on a PowerPC it should be able to fetch
> > and run the binary for PowerPC, right?
>
> If there's no prebuilt Rust compiler for PowerPC, then no, it will
> simply not be possible.

Fetching and extracting the PowerPC release tarball [1]:

[joerg at nzxt rust-1.16.0-powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu]$ file
rustc/bin/rustc
rustc/bin/rustc: ELF 64-bit MSB shared object, 64-bit PowerPC or cisco
7500, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter
/lib64/ld64.so.1, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0,
BuildID[sha1]=39357ec02406358be73f28d80dabfdd9e9816de9, not stripped,
with debug_info

> We have already lots of things in Buildroot that depend on x86 or
> x86-64. Check all packages/options that use BR2_HOSTARCH.
>
> So, it's fine for Rust to also require a x86/x86-64 machine, as long as
> the proper BR2_HOSTARCH dependency is present in the Config.in.

As I am running x64 it is fine for me, too. Just wondered why to limit
the hosts archs if there are binaries available.

[1] https://static.rust-lang.org/dist/rust-1.16.0-powerpc64-unknown-lin
ux-gnu.tar.gz

Jörg