[Buildroot] [RFC 4/4] board/acmesystems/aria-g25: set BR2_GENIMAGE_CFG_FILES

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Apr 3 09:35:24 UTC 2017

On 03-04-17 11:06, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

>  > Hello,
>  > On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:51:08 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>  >> I'm still not entirely sure if this new option is worthwhile. Without it, you
>  >> would instead need
>  >>
>  >> BR2_ROOTFS_POST_IMAGE_SCRIPT="support/scripts/genimage.sh"
>  >> BR2_ROOTFS_POST_SCRIPT_ARGS="board/acmesystems/aria-g25/genimage.cfg"
>  >>
>  >> Not really complicated either... The only real advantage I see is that it
>  >> motivates people more to use genimage (which is otherwise a bit hidden). But for
>  >> that, a paragraph or two in docs/manual/customize-post-image.txt would also
>  >> work. By the way, even for this series an explanation of the option would be
>  >> required in that file.
>  >>
>  >> What do the others think?
>
>  > I agree that the new option doesn't seem really useful.
>
> I'm not sure. One of the problems with genimage is that it calls a
> number of external utilities depending on the content of
> genimage.cfg, and it isn't directly clear what host packages you need to
> enable to ensure it works. If we add explicit BR2_GENIMAGE_FAT / CPIO /
> EXT2 / ISO / JFFS2 / UBI / .. options selecting the needed host packages
> then that would solve that issue.

 So, how would you do that? To know which host packages to select, we need to
parse the genimage.cfg file. This is not possible from Kconfig....

 A long time ago (back in the days we still had ct-ng support), someone posted a
huge hack to Kconfig to allow it to call an external program while constructing
the Kconfig model. Something like that might work, but it's really a huge change
to Kconfig semantics.

 Regards,
 Arnout