[Buildroot] [1/1,RFC] mysql: replace mysql with mariadb 10.0

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Sep 17 13:50:30 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 23:17:51 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

> > How responsible is it to keep packages in such state around, when there do are
> > alternatives?
>
>  True. But it should be relatively easy to bump the existing mysql package. If
> it is completely replaced by mariadb, it won't be so easy anymore.
>
>  We could mark mysql as deprecated pending the bump. That could motivate people
> to step up and fix it.

As Floris said, our mysql package is deprecated, so I'm all for
replacing it with an up-to-date mariadb package. If later on, someone
else really needs MySQL, we can re-add it, and add the necessary
virtual package to allow selecting between mysql and mariadb. But until
there's a decent mysql package available, I believe replacing it
completely with an up-to-date mariadb package is better.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering