[Buildroot] Stripping kernel modules for ARC

Vineet Gupta vgupta at synopsys.com
Wed Sep 14 19:18:32 UTC 2016

On 09/14/2016 04:29 AM, Alexey Brodkin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a follow-up of discussion started here
> https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/issues/86
>
> The problem in hand is kernel stack unwinding on ARC historically was done
> with use of debug_frame instead of more common eh_frame.

Just for the record, I will be switching kernel unwinder to .eh_frame anyways -
it's just taking longer than I hoped to. So there is no need to do anything
special for .debug_frame - not as of now.

The question is if we enable BR2_STRIP_NONE=y in buildroot, what strip is run
on kernel / modules. And also does it strip build and target/install modules
differently such that target ones are stripped, but not those for debugging etc.

-Vineet