[Buildroot] Report from the Buildroot Meeting in Berlin

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Oct 24 13:05:00 UTC 2016

On 24-10-16 14:28, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 13:19:30 +0100, Vicente Olivert Riera wrote:
[snip]
>> And another question. What happen if we use the real compiler to build
>> kernels and bootloaders? Would that be a problem? I don't know other
>> architectures, but for MIPS the only variable we need to pass to the
>> make program for building a kernel is ARCH=mips. The defconfig will set
>> all the rest (float, endian, etc.).
>
> Could be an approach to investigate, but I'm afraid is not as simple as
> it looks. "perf" for example is part of the kernel, built with our
> cross-compiler, but we would need to go through the wrapper because
> "perf" is user-space code, and it does need to link with a bunch of
> libraries available in our sysroot (so the --sysroot flag is important).

 ... but perf *is* built separately from the kernel code, in linux-tools-perf.

 I kind of like the idea of having a TARGET_CC_UNWRAPPED that we pass to the
packages that are non-hosted.

> Perhaps we need an environment variable in the wrapper that tells it
> "use all your flags" vs. "use only the flags that are really important,
> such as --sysroot". We could then set this environment variable when
> building specific packages such as the kernel and bootloaders.

 This, however, is probably the safest solution, and fairly elegant as well.
I'll keep it in mind when I (finally) start working on this :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout