[Buildroot] initramfs is not being linked into kernel

Adam Baxter voltagex at voltagex.org
Sat Oct 8 10:39:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've got the following external / overlay build setup -
https://github.com/baxterworks-build/buildroot-skeleton.
BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS=y
is set, however the resulting bzImage doesn't have the rootfs linked into
it. This is more evident on the selfhost branch, where I do silly things
like add a complete set of compilers to the rootfs - in this case,
rootfs.cpio is 40 megabytes, but bzImage is 2 megabytes.

Relevant files:
https://github.com/baxterworks-build/buildroot-skeleton/blob/master/external/configs/skeleton_defconfig
and
https://github.com/baxterworks-build/buildroot-skeleton/blob/master/external/configs/kernel.config

I am building with 2016.08. Building with git HEAD appears to create an
unbootable kernel, but that's a story for another thread.

Any ideas why I can't get the initramfs to be linked in?

Thanks,
Adam