[Buildroot] Bare metal toolchain support?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Nov 23 10:35:17 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:49:10 +0100, Alvaro Gamez wrote:

> Is buildroot able to build a baremetal toolchain?

No, but this is generally not needed. A Linux-capable toolchain is
capable of building userspace applications, but also the Linux kernel
and bootloaders like Barebox, U-Boot, etc (which you could build with
bare metal toolchains).

> Specifically, I'm trying to build a small bootloader for the microblaze
> architecture. Xilinx provides an SDK, and I wonder if I can build one like
> this using buildroot, so I can keep all my code and workflow centralized
> under buildroot.

Have you tried building this small bootloader with the Buildroot
toolchain?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering