[Buildroot] How to log /dev/console directly on the device

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Nov 20 11:22:49 UTC 2016

On 20-11-16 08:36, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> I need to log the output from /dev/console to a file. The purpose is
> to find an application crash in a field. It is important to have all
> possible messages i.e. kernel messages and application messages.

 This is exactly what syslogd (or journald) is supposed to do. Both the kernel
and the applications send their messages to syslogd, and syslogd sends it to the
console and/or to a file.

 If you have your applications directly writing to /dev/console, there is really
nothing you can do short of hacking the kernel to do something with it. You
could take a look at netconsole, but IIRC that just sends printks to the
network, it doesn't actually redirect /dev/console.

 Regards,
 Arnout