[Buildroot] uClibc debug symbols

Luca Ellero luca.ellero at brickedbrain.com
Fri May 13 08:34:50 UTC 2016

Hi Waldemar,

On 12/05/2016 19:07, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> Hi,
> Luca Ellero wrote,
>
>> Can you please suggest a way to check whether binaries have debugging
>> symbols? So, maybe, we can send patches.
>>
>> I've tried:
>> objdump -h ... | grep debug
>> but it doesn't seem to always behave reliably.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> Just 'file' should do the job,

file doesn't seem to indicate debug symbols (at least on my system).
Compiling with or without -g has exactly the same output.

$ arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc -o myapp myapp.c
$ file myapp
myapp: ELF 32-bit LSB  executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc -g -o myapp myapp.c
$ file myapp
myapp: ELF 32-bit LSB  executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Regards