[Buildroot] SDL2_ttf requires libpng12 but Buildroot installs libpng16

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu May 12 21:45:48 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:05:56 -0600, Peter Thompson wrote:

> Below are my personal notes on how I compiled the SDL2 suite  -   in the
> hopes it is helpful to someone else.   pmtstaging is a copy of the
> buildroot sysroot which I wanted to keep pristine during this process.
>
> I will try to convert these  notes into a buildroot patch and submit it -
> making life much easier in the future.

Quick question that might sound silly, but I believe worth asking: why
are you taking this terribly complicated path to build SDL2_ttf
manually, rather than creating a Buildroot package directly?

The Buildroot autotools package infrastructure already handles most of
the cross-compilation problems by itself. So all this terrible dance of
CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, copying of sysroot and stuff that you're doing
would have been completely unneeded if you had done a Buildroot package
from the beginning.

It seems to me like you've wasted a huge amount of time :-/

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons