[Buildroot] [v3, 1/4] barebox: prepare for secondary config build

Pieter Smith pieter at boesman.nl
Mon Mar 7 18:31:45 UTC 2016

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 10:16:55PM +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
> On 03/05/16 14:16, Pieter Smith wrote:

[snip]

> > I am having some trouble with this. I am not able to handle ifdef-space
> > diversity in this way. Ifdef-space diversity is used to determine how barebox
> > should be configured, whether / how the barebox environment should be built,
> > and to print user-friendly config errors. The ifdef logic is not all trivial
> > (almost half of the makefile logic), so I would like to avoid duplicating it
> > between barebox and barebox-2. The only way I know of to avoid this duplication
> > is by extracting the logic info a definition and using $(eval), which is
> > exactly what you want to avoid.
>
>  Ah yes, I didn't realize that. Indeed, for those things there is no way to
> handle them with $(PKG).
>
>  Actually I would like those things to move to kconfig-package, but that would
> be dragging things a bit too far for this series.
>
>  So yes, your idea of $(call barebox-package) looks good. One small remark that
> you can already fix before submitting: in the patch that adds the
> barebox-package function, say explicitly in the commit message if anything has
> changed except for $ -> $$ and BAREBOX -> $(1). That'll make review easier.

Thanks for having a look. I will break the series up into smaller pieces to
ease review:
1 - 2 as before.
3. Break out barebox-package (Explain the $ -> $$ subst).
4. Make the variable name-space configurable (Explain BAREBOX -> $(1) subst).
5. Make the package source name-space configurable (Explain BAREBOX -> $(2)
   subst).
6. Introduce boot/barebox-2/barebox-2.mk and Config.in with
   $(call barebox-package,BAREBOX_2,BAREBOX)
7. Add a defconfig for the BBB.

[snip]

Thank you for helping to bang this into shape.

- Pieter