[Buildroot] Tossing coins on Beaglebone Black kernel version

Ezequiel Garcia ezequiel at vanguardiasur.com.ar
Thu Jun 2 20:49:32 UTC 2016

On 2 June 2016 at 16:47, Peter Korsgaard <peter at korsgaard.com> wrote:

>  > As mentioned on IRC, beaglebone_defconfig U-Boot build is currently broken.
>  > I don't think the error matters much, given the selected U-Boot version
>  > is really old.
>
> Yeah, our beaglebone defconfig could really use some love. It looks like
> I will be getting a beaglebone green wireless so I was planning on
> looking into it as well, but thanks for working on it!

No problem. I wanted to submit the fix for the bootloader for now,
but the git full clone stalled for ages here and drove me mad.

>  > We are currently using git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git
>  > while TI kernel release [1] notes are pointing at
>  > git://git.ti.com/processor-sdk/processor-sdk-linux.git.
>
>  > Now, I'm not all that sure which kernel we want to use by default and that's
>  > why I'm asking here, to hear what the rest thinks.
>
> What are the beaglebone people using for their official images? Can't we
> use the same?

I believe they use this: https://github.com/beagleboard/linux.
It's just a matter of finding what commit/branch/tag they use.

So it's yet another choice :-)

>  > FWIW, I commercially support a AM335x product and we've switched to
>  > linux mainline,
>  > long, long time ago, because the SDK was incredibly crappy at that time.
>
> Yeah, that would be my choice as well for a product. For getting started
> on a beaglebone I'm less sure as mainline doesn't have any support for
> the various capes.

I'm not sure Buildroot would be the choice for a getting started beaglebone
user, but yeah, it would make sense to support capes properly.
--
Ezequiel García, VanguardiaSur
www.vanguardiasur.com.ar