[Buildroot] Xenomai 3.0.1?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sat Jan 30 07:59:02 UTC 2016

On 29-01-16 09:36, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello Jerry,
>
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:09:33 -0000, jerry at chordia.co.uk wrote:
>> Running the xenomai prepare-kernel script against an externally sourced
>> 3.18.26 kernel. Buildroot builds a bootable kernel and working FS but the
>> Xenomai userland tools appear to be related to 2.X.
>>
>> How do I best get BR to install the latest stuff?
>
> You need to adapt the Xenomai package in package/xenomai/ and also
> probably the Xenomai Linux extension logic in
> linux/linux-ext-xenomai.mk.
>
> Note however that there is a *big* difference between Xenomai 2 and
> Xenomai 3, and therefore this update is certainly not the easiest
> Buildroot modification that you can imagine. Xenomai 3 can run on top
> of PREEMPT_RT kernels, without the Xenomai co-kernel and Adeos
> interrupt pipeline. This probably requires some fairly significant
> changes in the Xenomai packaging.
>
> In addition, since Xenomai 3 is rather new and so different from
> Xenomai 2, we probably want to keep support for Xenomai 2 for a while,
> which adds even more challenge to the task.

 Begging to differ here. As far as I know, API-wise, Xenomai 3 is compatible
with Xenomai 2 (except maybe a few deprecated functions that have been removed).
For sure, nothing internal in Buildroot depends on it.

 In addition, running on top of PREEMPT_RT is optional.

 Therefore, I think the bump can be done in the "simple" way first, that there
is no need to offer a Xenomai 2 version, and that a new feature of offering the
single-kernel implementation can be added later.

 Regards,
 Arnout