[Buildroot] could not read symbols: Bad value error on musl based buildroot env on rpi2 config.

Eial Czerwacki eial at scalemp.com
Sun Jan 17 15:42:58 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I'm trying to create a musl base env for my rpi2 and I'm getting the
below failure.

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(abstract.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.8' can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
were not found:
_tkinter           bsddb185           dl
imageop            sunaudiodev
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
_bisect            _codecs_iso2022    _collections
_csv               _ctypes            _ctypes_test
_elementtree       _functools         _hashlib
_heapq             _hotshot           _io
_json              _locale            _lsprof
_multibytecodec    _multiprocessing   _random
_socket            _ssl               _struct
_testcapi          array              audioop
binascii           cmath              cPickle
crypt              cStringIO          datetime
fcntl              future_builtins    grp
itertools          linuxaudiodev      math
mmap               operator           parser
pyexpat            readline           resource
select             spwd               strop
syslog             termios            time
unicodedata        zlib

make[1]: *** [sharedmods] Error 1

my config can be found here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14543009/

is it possible I'm having a bitness issue on the system? the machine I'm
using to compile is 64 bit but the machine on which the fs exists is 32 bit.
any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks.