[Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility

Gustavo Zacarias gustavo at zacarias.com.ar
Thu Jan 7 20:35:52 UTC 2016

On 07/01/16 17:30, Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:

> I had started to look into this a few months ago, and setting
> --with-libbind=PATH to use the bind provided by Buildroot seemed to be
> a better option (in order to avoid possibly installing two instances
> of bind on the target, either standalone or inside the dhcp binaries
> if statically linked, and both bind versions were compatible at that
> time), though I have not yet tested it.

Hi Benoît.
Let me save you some time, it doesn't work as expected.
I've tried pointing that into the bind build directory (because it needs
some specific *.a files that i think aren't installed, besides another
problem) but no luck, since it stills expects that to live in it's own
build directory, try in dhcp's source dir:

find . -name Makefile.am -exec grep --with-filename ../bind/lib {} \;

...and you'll see the drastic results.

Even so with that fixed the bind package will need to get tweaked as
well, since if you build shared-only you won't get those intermediate
libraries built, and hence dhcp will fail as well.

All in all, it seems pretty broken.

Regards.