[Buildroot] Is it possible to override a package version from BR2_EXTERNAL?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Fri Feb 26 20:14:31 UTC 2016

On 02/26/16 16:03, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I am asking because it appears (for the moment) that the 2016.01
> host-uboot-tools mkenvimage utility does not generate an environment
> file compatible with my non-2016.01 u-boot.

 That is weird... As far as I know, mkenvimage should stay backward-compatible.
Unless, of course, your u-boot has some hacks that make it incompatible with
upstream u-boot...

> I will try changing UBOOT_TOOLS_VERSION to 2015.01 in uboot-tools.mk,
> but that is not a long term solution -- I would rather use a pristine
> buildroot source tree with by BR2_EXTERNAL customizations for kernel
> _defconfig files & the like.
>
> Or, it's possible that something else entirely is wrong with my
> environment file and it has nothing to do with mkenvimage.  But I am
> still curious about overriding specific package revisions on a
> case-by-case basis.

 Nope, that's not possible. It's been discussed a couple of times on the list,
search the archives for details. In short, because of the order in which make
evaluates things, by the time you get to the BR2_EXTERNAL customisations it's
too late.

 It's also not possible to override the version in the override file, because
then the package file will just override your assignment.

 What you _can_ do, is to get a local copy and use UBOOT_TOOLS_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR.
But that's also not a long-term solution.

 Regards,
 Arnout