[Buildroot] Why not perform a shallow clone?

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Wed Feb 24 19:36:49 UTC 2016

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 02:30:58PM -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> So I'm sitting here watching my buildroot make do a complete clone of
> the Linux kernel, where I have told it that I want a specific sha1
> commit and I started wondering...
>
> Why not do a shallow clone?
>
> Has it been tried?  Is it a bad idea?

Quoting the support/download/git script:

# Try a shallow clone, since it is faster than a full clone - but that only
# works if the version is a ref (tag or branch). Before trying to do a shallow
# clone we check if ${cset} is in the list provided by git ls-remote. If not
# we fall back on a full clone.

baruch