[Buildroot] Buildroot for normal PC

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Sat Feb 20 10:10:54 UTC 2016

André, All,

On 2016-02-19 23:53 +0100, André Hentschel spake thusly:
> I wanna try some more things with the Wine package in buildroot, but I
> can't easily setup a testing environment for a PC.

    $ make list-defconfigs |grep x86
      qemu_x86_64_defconfig               - Build for qemu_x86_64
      qemu_x86_defconfig                  - Build for qemu_x86

So I'd suggest you use qemu for that.

> One part is which bootloader to use and how to pack everything together
> to a bootable USB-Stick, HDD image or CD. (And I didn't found a defconfig
> for that)...

No, we don't have a defconfig for a traditional PC.

> The other part is about the nvidia-driver, I'll need the legacy one for
> my card. Can I simply alter the version number in the makefile?

I'm not sure the legacy driver has the same "layout" (in terms of
buildsystem) as the current driver, so I would not bet on it...

However, if as I suggested above, you were to use qemu, you would not
need to setup a bootloader. You can tell qemu to directly boot a kernel,
see:
    board/qemu/x86/readme.txt

As for the video driver, qemu does not (yet!) provide a 3D-accelerated
graphics card, but you can use mesa3d for SW OpenGL if you need that.

I guess using qemu will be more efficient than using a real PC, at least
as long as you're not looking at performance, and especially graphics
performance.

Well, at least, that's what I would be doing. ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.